News (handpicked)

Zimbabwe Police Ignore Judge's Order To Release Human Rights Activists

Zimbabwe (AHN) - A lawyer representing human rights activists in Zimbabwe is reporting police in the country appear to be disregarding a High Court order to release members of the government's opposition currently being held by authority.

On Wednesday a judge ordered the unconditional release of 23 people associated President Robert Mugabe's opposition. Those currently being held also include a two-year-old who was seized with his mother.

Allegations of torture prompted High Court Judge Yunus Omarjee ordering another nine to be sent for medical treatments. Of those who may have been tortured and in need of medical attention include human rights activist Jestina Mukoko leader of the Zimbabwe Peace Project.

Lawyer Beatrice Mtetwa said a senior police officer knew nothing about the order and it is unclear where ht activists are being held.

"We are now hearing reports that they have been moved from the remand center where they were being held ... and we don't know where they have been taken," Mtetwa told CNN. "We are, however, investigating their whereabouts."

Law enforcement officials in the country had been denying for wee

ks the activists were being held, yet were delivered to their court appearance on Wednesday. Mukoko, was abducted by armed men on Dec. 3 following countrywide protests against the country's worsening economy and various health crises.

Mukoko arrest and imprisonment is widely seen as a fabrication and a sign that Mr. Mugabe, 84, is not prepared to back down, even as some world leaders are becoming increasingly vocal and critical of his rule and treatment of those who oppose him.

 

Ayinde  O Chase

'Enemies of humanity' jailed for war crimes

The man accused of masterminding the 1994 Rwanda genocide, Theoneste Bagosora, was jailed for life by an international court yesterday as prosecutors described his conviction as the most significant since Nuremberg.

Bagosora, 67, a former colonel who was the chief of staff in Rwanda's defence ministry, was convicted of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes at the end of a five-year trial after judges found that he used the military and an extremist Hutu militia to kickstart the massacre of about 800,000 Tutsis in 100 days.

Read more ...

Europa deja solo al trabajador

Andreu Missé

Dos modelos se enfrentan mañana en la UE: la jornada de 48 horas y la flexibilidad - El acuerdo privado entre empresas y empleados que propugna Brown puede dinamitar el sistema de protección.

¿Europa es sólo un mercado o es también un espacio de protección social? ¿Las relaciones laborales deben establecerse entre el trabajador de manera individual y el empresario como si tuvieran igual capacidad para negociar o deben fijarse de manera colectiva? ¿Las leyes laborales deben ser sólo estatales o también europeas?

Todas estas cuestiones son las que están en el fondo del debate que estos días se dilucida en el Parlamento Europeo y que va a poner en tensión las fuerzas políticas. El incierto resultado de la votación de mañana -se requiere mayoría absoluta y las posturas están muy ajustadas- marcará también el camino futuro que emprenderá la Unión. Y, de manera especial, la participación y el debate de las próximas elecciones europeas de junio de 2009.

La piedra de toque es la discusión sobre la duración máxima de la jornada laboral, que actualmente es de 48 horas semanales. Si prosperan las tesis liberales que impulsan el Reino Unido y sus aliados, los nuevos países del antiguo bloque comunista, hoy se impondrá la llamada "libertad de opción", que implica que la duración del tiempo de trabajo la pactarán "libremente" el empresario y el trabajador, y la jornada se podrá alargar hasta las 60 o 65 horas según los casos.

"Con esto renace la idea de que el contrato de trabajo será un acuerdo entre el trabajador y el empresario", advierte Alejandro Cercas, eurodiputado socialista español, ponente de la directiva, quien ha organizado la defensa de los derechos laborales desde la trinchera del Parlamento Europeo. Cercas asegura que si se generaliza la exclusión voluntaria, "no habrá leyes, no habrá convenios, y será el fin de los sindicatos". "Esto es sólo la punta del iceberg. Empezamos por la jornada y luego vendrán los salarios y los demás derechos laborales", advierte.

Read more ...

Ten years on, human rights defenders continue to pay a high price

GENEVA, BANJUL, STRASBOURG, WARSAW and WASHINGTON D.C.,

Ten years after the adoption of the Declaration on Human Rights Defenders, defenders continue to pay a high price while advocating for and protecting human rights, be they civil, political, economic, social or cultural.

Today marks the tenth anniversary of a landmark instrument adopted by consensus by the UN General Assembly in 1998. The Declaration has offered new possibilities for the support and protection of defenders and their activities, by articulating existing human rights in a way that makes them easier to apply to the reality of human rights defenders.

In 2000, the UN mandate on the situation of human rights defenders was established to support States in their implementation of the Declaration. It has contributed to the protection of thousands of human rights defenders throughout the world, given visibility to them and to the Declaration, and encouraged the development of networks and coalitions of human rights defenders. The mandate has also included a gender perspective in its work, and raised awareness about the situation of defenders most at risk and about violations committed against them.

Read more ...

Convention on the Protection of Children against Sexual Exploitation and Sexual Abuse may come into force in 2009

The Council of Europe Convention on the Protection of Children against Sexual Exploitation and Sexual Abuse provides States with a valuable tool for preventing and combating all violations of children's fundamental rights. The Council of Europe has undertaken to alert governments to the need to ensure that the convention comes into force quickly and to support them in the ratification process by means of regional conferences. The third conference will take place in Warsaw, Poland, on 15 and 16 December.

It seems that a sizeable minority of European children (10 to 20%) suffer sexual violence in the course of their childhood. There is even greater acknowledgement that this problem exists now that the spread of the Internet has spawned new offences. Poland is not immune. In September, in the course of a large-scale police operation covering the entire country, the Polish police took 138 people suspected of possessing paedophilic images and disseminating them on the Internet in for questioning.

The Council of Europe convention will do much to strengthen international co-operation, which is essential for prosecuting the perpetrators of such offences and putting an end to impunity, regardless of the country where the offence is committed. The convention is, moreover, the only treaty in the world to consider "grooming" (where adults seek to enter into contact with children or adolescents for sexual purposes, for example through chat rooms) a criminal offence.

It is therefore of prime importance that as many governments as possible follow the example of the 32 countries that have already signed the convention, so that it can come into force in 2009.

The Council of Europe has made the promotion of children's rights and the protection of children against violence a priority, as is borne out by the programme "Building a Europe for and with children" (2006-2008). A game called "Wild Web Woods", now available in 20 languages, enables children to learn to surf the Internet safely.

The conference, which is open to the press, will begin at 10 am on Monday 15 December (Sofitel Victoria, Warsaw).


Las bombas de racimo quedan fuera de la ley

 ORIOL GÜELL - Madrid -

 

La Convención sobre las Bombas de Racimo, firmada en la capital noruega entre ayer y hoy, prohíbe la fabricación, almacenamiento, venta y uso de este armamento. Un acuerdo calificado como "histórico" por los países firmantes, pero que nace con el importante borrón de no estar apoyado por los principales fabricantes y consumidores de estas bombas: Estados Unidos, Rusia, China, Israel, India y Pakistán. Otros Gobiernos, como Brasil, también han declinado firmar alegando que necesitan tiempo para adaptar sus arsenales, pero se han comprometido a sumarse a él en el futuro. Sí se han adherido al tratado, en cambio, miembros de la OTAN como Reino Unido, Francia, Alemania o España, y países en conflicto como Afganistán.

 "Es cierto que hay ausencias importantes, pero el mundo debe saber que el paso dado es muy importante", sostiene Daryl Kimball, director de la organización Arms Control Association, con base en Washington. "Con más de 100 países comprometidos en su prohibición, el Gobierno que utilice una bomba de racimo a partir de ahora sentirá los reproches de la comunidad internacional y deberá dar muchas explicaciones", añade.

 

Read more ...

La pena del talión condena a morir a 150 menores iraníes

ANGELES ESPINOSA 

La ley islámica se impone a la promesa del Gobierno de conmutar los castigos.

"Estamos esperando que den la cuerda a la familia de la víctima y lo cuelguen en cualquier momento", confía el padre de Amir Amrollahi, uno de los 150 adolescentes iraníes en el corredor de la muerte. El caso de Amir, que tenía 15 años cuando mató a otro chico en una pelea, pone en evidencia el reciente anuncio de que Irán va a conmutar las sentencias de muerte de quienes delinquen siendo menores de edad. La medida excluye los casos en los que prevalece la figura islámica de qisas (ley del talión o pena del talión), que da a la víctima, o a sus herederos, el derecho de vengarse con un castigo equivalente al delito.

"La reforma no ha tenido ningún efecto porque la mayoría de las ejecuciones son resultado de ese derecho", declaró la semana pasada la premio Nobel Shirín Ebadí, en una conferencia de prensa organizada por el Centro de Defensores de los Derechos Humanos. El acto forma parte de una campaña para pedir a las autoridades iraníes que cumplan los convenios internacionales que han firmado, y pongan fin al ajusticiamiento de menores.

Al menos 150 jóvenes se encuentran, como Amir, condenados a muerte por un delito que cometieron cuando aún no habían cumplido los 18 años. Sus familias se llenaron de esperanza cuando el 15 de octubre Hosein Zebhi, el fiscal general adjunto para asuntos judiciales, anunció que la magistratura había decidido conmutar la pena capital por cadena perpetua para los delincuentes menores de edad. Tres días más tarde, Zebhi excluía a los ya condenados, y a quienes afrontaran una pena de qisas porque "no depende del Gobierno, sino de la acusación particular".

Read more ...

Zimbabweans 'can't afford school'

The number of children going to school regularly in Zimbabwe has fallen dramatically from 90% to 20%, a senior UN relief official says. Catherine Bragg said many teachers were not being paid and could not afford to travel to work.

She warned Zimbabwe's humanitarian crisis would worsen. Meanwhile, it is reported that power-sharing talks have stalled because of insults traded between the opposition and mediator Thabo Mbeki. Representatives of the opposition Movement for Democratic Change and President Robert Mugabe's Zanu-PF had resumed talks in South Africa earlier in the week.

Cholera threat

At a news conference in New York, Ms Bragg called for "massive" international assistance for Zimbabwe. In addition to the cholera outbreak, which has killed more than 360 people since August, she said there has also been a breakdown in both the health and education sectors.

“For a country that used to have over 90% school attendance, now we're seeing less than 20%,” she said.

As well as teachers not being able to afford to work, students were required to make payments in kind, including food, which they did not have, she said.

Read more ...

bout  |  Contact

Copyright © 2014. All Rights Reserved.