Articles...

The Weight of Silence: Invisible Children of India

User Rating: 5 / 5

Star ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar ActiveStar Active

altWe would like to direct our attention towards one of our members,  Shelley Seale,  who will publish her book “The Weight of Silence: Invisible Children of India” ton the 5th of June.  25 million children of India who have been orphaned, abandoned or trafficked  and her  book follow her journey into the slums of India and her involvement with these children. Below you will find the synopsis and more information about Shelley.

Synopsis by Shelley Seale: By now, everyone had either seen, or at least heard of, the movie Slumdog Millionaire, about the lives of two brothers who come from the slums of Mumbai – made even more desperate after they are orphaned. What many don’t know, however, is that for 25 million children in India, the harsh world depicted in the movie is their everyday reality. Yes, that’s 25 million kids. My book, The Weight of Silence: Invisible Children of India, follows my journey over the past four years into the streets, orphanages and slums of India where these children live without families or homes of their own. I became immersed in their world, a witness to their struggles – but also their joys, their incredible hope and resilience that amazed me time and time again. The ability of their spirits to overcome crippling challenges inspired me. My sole purpose in writing this book was to give these millions of children a voice that could be heard by others in the world who, I was convinced, would be as moved by their plights as I was.

Shelley Seale:
Shelley Seale is a freelance writer based out of Austin, Texas, but she vagabonds in any part of the world whenever possible. Shelley has written for the Seattle Times, Washington Magazine, the Austin Business Journal, Intrepid Travel and Andrew Harper Traveler Magazine among others, and is the Sustainable Travel Columnist at The Examiner. Her new book, The Weight of Silence: Invisible Children of India, follows her journeys into the orphanages, streets and slums of India, where for millions of children the life portrayed in Slumdog Millionaire is their reality. Her mantra is “travel with a purpose.” She can be reached at www.shelleyseale.com.

bout  |  Contact

Copyright © 2014. All Rights Reserved.